Amazon Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at Amazon

2,612 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)) in May 2013.

Interview

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

Negotiation

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

HR contacted me to set up an interview
    I only scored around 70-80 of the test cases. Was surprised that I passed
    Phone screen 1 week later, LC easy
    Onsite 1 month later, 2 medium, 2 easy, 1 hard - all high popular LC problems

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

behavior question + operation runtime complexity + a very simple and basic leetcode easy level question. The question was: Return k largest number. It was difficulty for me because I did not review the time complexity for heap/stack operations

Interview Questions

• Leetcode easy: Return k largest number.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

The application process consisted of a few OA's and then an interview with a coding question and a few behavioral questions. The coding question was nothing too difficult, just performing BFS on a tree. For the behavioral questions, make sure you know the 12 Amazon Leadership Principles, as they want you to tie those into your answers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in which you took ownership of something.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

First round is Coding challenge. If you clear then,
    Virtual Coding Interview, generally 2 coding questions
    Schedule for an Onsite Technical and Behavioral Interview, typically lasts for 4 hours. Result will be given in 1 week.
    Result

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions, coding questions on data structures   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I was reached out by the recruiter on LinkedIn. A week later I took the phone interview and got the result on the same day. 3 weeks later I took the video onsite interview.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

You connect with a recruiter and do a phone screen. After it’s a 90 min coding challenge based on algorithms and data structures. If you pass, you will be invited to do on-site interviews which consist of more algorithms and data structures.

Interview Questions

• A typical medium level algorithm you’d find on LeetCode or Hackerrank.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in October 2020.

Interview

1. Contacted by recruiter
    2. Passed OA
    3. Virtual Onsite about a month after Step 2
         - 1 System Design
         - 3 coding problems
    4. Got final result 2 business days after Step 3

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you used deep analysis to solve a complex problem   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2020.

Interview

I applied online. Got reached out to by a recruiter, had an initial call and then an online assessment. Standard Leetcode questions, nothing too difficult.

Got to a virtual onsite and this is where things unfortunately did not go very well. One interview with system design and three standard Leetcode question interviews. Nailed the first three interviews, but absolutely failed the last one. Not because I didn't understand the question, but the interviewer's accent was so thick I literally could not even understand the specifications of the problem, especially over Chime (Amazon's version of Zoom). On top of that his 5 year old son was literally screaming in the background and actually came onto the screen multiple times until I had to ask for his son to leave because now I could not only understand him, but I couldn't hear him either. Needless to say, I did not leave a good impression on the interviewer and I was not in the least surprised that they decided not to extend an offer.

Probably an unfortunate reality of interviewing during the pandemic, he might have been easier to understand in person and without the kid running around.

Interview Questions

• Standard Leetcode technical questions. Nothing unexpected or

Definitely prepare for Amazon Principles questions, though, since each interviewer will ask you a few and will drill down so it is difficult to make stuff up on the spot.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in October 2020.

Interview

Amazon first gives their SDE Assessments. First is a code debugging exercise. Next is 2 coding challenges. Leet code easy/medium level. Last assessment was a virtual practice environment for a day at work, where you respond to emails and such.,

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.