Amazon Lab126 Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Amazon Lab126 Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon Lab126

3.1

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview

Four sections from morning to afternoon. Lunch included. All questions are about and only about the leadership principle. Check with some interview example before you go, which will be very helpful.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 in March 2019.

Interview

1 OA
    1 Virtual Onsite
    1 Onsite
    Then you can get the result in 2 weeks
    The OA has 2 parts, one is the IQ test, the second one is programming, 2 question using java/c/c++

Interview Questions

• Number of islands?
      Behavior questions
      desgin the parking system   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

Began with a phone call with HR, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager; then was invited for on-site at Sunnyvale office. There were five interviewers (except the HR person) with one hour assigned to each of them.

Coding test was fairly easy. Other technical questions (mostly audio processing related) were reasonable and I answered as best as I could. Behavioral questions were also as expected (usual questions). I answered reasonably well. I still don't understand why I didn't get an offer. Except, as I recall, one interviewer seemed to have had a problem with me. He must have seen me or known of me from one of the conferences in the past. The problem was, he appeared to have a wrong idea about my background and specialty in my PhD. He was cynical about me not answering smoothly some of questions that were clearly out of my specialty several times and at the end he said 'you don't know this kind of stuff and teach at university?' I said, 'No that's not what I teach. I teach this, this and that courses.' Unfortunately the time was up and the next interviewer had to start; I had no way to clarify further or defend myself.

The reason I marked the interview experience negative, although there was nothing strikingly negative (except for this one guy), is the following. First, each interviewer seemed to have just too many interview questions they were trying to cover. One hour is too short to cover everything--coding, problem solving, other specific technical questions, and behavioral questions. Why was everyone trying to do everything (except the "bar raiser" who admitted he wasn't in the team but doing only the behavioral part)?

We all know that each of those behavioral questions is tough--they require some thinking and may take longer than 5-10 min to answer. Several times I felt I was being pushed to stop my answer in the middle because there was next question to move on. They seemed care less about finding out the true character of mine in those tough situations than getting answers scratching on the surface and checking their own list. What's the point then?

Oh, to make it worse, one of behavioral questions was asked by two interviewers (so obviously they do not coordinate questions to cover among themselves). I thought I answered well for the first time. I told the second interviewer that the question had been asked and I already gave my best answer. I asked him if I could answer similar way; he said, 'no, answer from a different angle.' F__. I had to squeeze my answer another way, which might not have been as good as the first one. I didn't feel bad about it on the spot, but in hindsight, this is another example of their failure to evaluate me appropriately because their inability to be flexible.

Second, I have 15 years of experience after PhD. This doesn't mean that I am more qualified for the job than someone with 5 years of experience; but surely I bring in different strengths (and weaknesses as well) from those guys. Shouldn't they check for those? After all, I was disappointed because my coding was only evaluated at a textbook level and I did not have an opportunity to demonstrate my real work through the years that I believe could be a contribution to them. For example, because the coding test during the phone interview was a breeze, I was expecting a more challenging one or an opportunity to brag about my work to them in person. Neither--I was given another set of easy coding questions. Of course, this wouldn't have been a problem if I was hired. But I wasn't, so it makes me wonder what they were trying to achieve through this whole process.

The worst of everything--they do not give feedback on their decision, per company policy. To me, it's like an adding insult to injury. I would really like to know why I was not hired, so I could improve. I guess it's fair--it's their prerogative not to give me feedback. Then it's equally fair for me to dislike them and especially this guy whom I am sure I will have a chance to interact in the future.

Interview Questions

• Draw a block diagram of _____ and describe each component   Answer Question

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me the next day I submitted resume online. A quick recruiter phone interview mainly verified my background & experience in resume. Another recruiter reached out to me in scheduling Phone interview. I asked 3 weeks to prepare for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Approx. 40 mins spent in Leadership principle questions and story telling in Customer Centric. Only 10 mins left for coding problem.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (San Jose, CA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

5 rounds. 3 rounds are behavior questions. 2 rounds are technical. Many questions about the case studies and how you complete your project on time and how you handle a relationship with your supervisor.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest challenge in your work and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Hardware Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

I was contacted by an Amazon recruiter for an interview. It was 2 interviews back to back virtually. They were 1 hour each. They weren't too bad and the interviewers are very nice. Expect a lot of behavioral questions and try to focus some answers towards their leadership principals. There are challenging technical questions too.

Interview Questions

• Draw a low pass filter circuit (both passive & active)   Answer Question
    • Expanded from behavioral question to a technical one when talking about a project. (e.g. Tell me about a time you could not complete an objective in a project and then: Tell me what did you do technically to solve the challenge.)   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter via email. I guess they found my resume from their database. Though I wasn't initially planning on interviewing with Amazon, I took this forward as I was already preparing for interviews. This was a standard process with phone screen followed by an onsite. I was interviewed for an 'L5' level I was told. The first phone interview was coding (as you might expect). 2 Leetcode and 1 that I had not previously seen in Leetcode. At this point I was notified by the recruiter that 2 teams were interested in me and I was put in what they called a "split-loop". The on-site was a standard 6-7 rounds. Pretty much all rounds had 1/2/3 Leet easy/med. But what surprised me was the time all interviewers spent in their Leadership Principle questions. Almost all rounds had 15-20 mins of these questions. So, an advice to candidates that come in for onsite is of course to do well in coding but to be mentally prepared to answer behavioral questions for 15-20 mins every hour. The STAR model that the recruiter shared with me helped a lot. The reason I find this strange is that when I went to onsite with FB, APPLE, NVDIA and a few startups, they wasted no time to test my technical skills. I spoke to my recruiter about this and in Amazon's defense what I was told was this - since Amazon lets engineers move teams, LP was the only concrete value they rely on. The recruiter got back to me the next day morning. Overall a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Leetcode, operating system, prior job experiences and most importantly their LP.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

Had an online assessment test followed by a phone and onsite interview. Questions were not that difficult if you study well medium level questions. A lot of leadership questions. Half of the interview is spent on leadership questions which limits the time for coding.

Interview Questions

• Leadership related behavioral questions. Leetcode medium questions   Answer Question

Lead Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who seemed very nice and impressed by my experience. Within a couple of days they scheduled a technical phone screen and provided a document that was supposed to help prep for the process. A couple of days later I was contacted by a swe from Lab126 who introduced himself as a SWE at Lab126 and then rapidly dumped a programming problem into a shared document for me to work on. First he described the problem incorrectly so I double checked with him to see what he was actually looking for. He then remained silent while I worked on the problem. Could not even hear a breath on the line. After 50 minutes of silence and a dropped call on his end I was informed that we are running out of time and he wanted to leave room for questions from me. His responses to my questions were extremely short and vague and there was no feedback still from what I worked on except I pointed out a bug that I discovered in the end and he agreed with me. Finally about 2 hours after the interview I received an email from the recruiter explaining that they will not be moving forward and they cannot give me any reason or feedback whatsoever. I must say I went into this interview after being warned by many that Amazon is not a great place to work and left the interview with a solidified agreement of this opinion.

Interview Questions

• I cannot share the questions I was asked but it seemed pretty high level for a short technical phone screen over a phone. I have had many phone screens in the past and they are typically meant to weed out the ones that cannot even program.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126.

Interview

Applied online and got a call for a phone screen with the HR the very next day. Scheduled for a technical phone screen where I was asked a leetcode hard problem, I solved it sub optimally but it was a tough String problem and I think I did a good job and its been a month but no response even on multiple follow ups. Very unprofessional.