Interview Question

Trading Intern Interview

-Dublin, Dublin

Susquehanna International Group (SIG)

A king wants to hold a party, for which he has 8 kegs of wine, one of which he knows is poisoned. If someone consumes any of the poisoned wine, he will drop dead in exactly one months time. The king has 3 servants who have volunteered their lives to test the kegs of wine. What is the shortest amount of time in which the king can identify which keg of wine is poisoned and dispose of it so he can hold the party.

Answer

Interview Answers

3 Answers

One month: Label the kegs 1-8, each servant has a glass of wine which is a mixture of four of the kegs: Servant one has a glass consisting of wine from kegs 1, 2, 3 and 4. Servant two has a glass consisting of wine from kegs 2, 3, 5 and 6. Servant three has a glass consisting of wine from kegs 3, 4, 6 and 7. We then wait one month. If only servant one dies, keg 1 is poisoned. If servants one and two die, keg 2 is poisoned. If servants one, two and three die, keg 3 is poisoned. If servants one and three die, keg 4 is poisoned. If only servant two dies, keg 5 is poisoned. If servants two and three die, keg 6 is poisoned. If only servant three dies, keg 7 is poisoned. If no one dies, keg 8 is poisoned.

Anonymous on

Hi, think my final interview was 22nd Jan and they got back to me 10th Feb or so

Tim on

Hi, I also had an interview with SIG recently, and I'm just wondering how long it took for them to give you a job offer after you're final interview

Anonymous on

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.