What does a Treasurer do?
Chief financial officers are top-level company executives who are responsible for overseeing the organization’s financial operations. They create and implement annual budgets and spending plans. They establish and enforce official policies and procedures, and ensure that all financial matters are conducted in compliance with applicable standards and regulations. They supervise financial record-keeping and documentation management systems to safeguard the security and integrity of sensitive financial information and data. They may also guide long-term investment strategies.
Chief financial officers commonly have at least a bachelor’s degree in business or accounting, although an MBA or other advanced degree is often preferred. They commonly have a CPA license. They have an extensive background in accounting, banking, or financial management. These roles require strong leadership skills and solid strategic planning capabilities.
- Work with research analysts to develop and deliver CFO relevant research.
- Review financial reports, identifying and recommending appropriate corrective actions.
- Provide recommendations to the improvement of accounting controls, practices, and procedures.
- Prepare investment materials with a model and financial statements.
- Work with other department managers (IT, Special Accounts, Customer Service, Production, Marketing, etc.) to maintain payroll budgets.
- Suggest processes, reporting and documentation improvements to streamline work within the Accounting Department.
- Participate (with Sales and Client Managers) in quarterly account reviews.
- Define and deliver innovative solutions by assess member needs and develop a customized value plan in accordance with overall Gartner Sales strategy and Gartner Finance product deliverables.
- Facilitate member interaction and collaboration through the Sales community portal and assisted member connections.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills to assess member situations and provide actionable, outcome-based business advice and guidance.
- Direct and facilitate member peer group calls and/or meetings.
- Deliver financial reports including Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Statement of Cash Flows, A/P aging, A/R aging, Inventory, Payroll and Productivity reports directly to the CEO.
- Monitor accounts payable and accounts receivable to ensure that all A/P invoicing and A/R billing are accurate and timely.
- Responsible for the hiring, training, supervising, reviewing, disciplining, and subordinate staff as needed and in accordance with policy.
- Oversee the preparation and evaluation of budgets, forecasts, performance KPI's, and other financial operating reports.
- Define a strategy to attract investment, taking into account examples of public offerings against the backdrop of quantitative easing.
- Organize and hold meetings with investors, attract advisers, collect investment applications.
- Develop and automate the financial and OKR reporting system.
- Monitor compliance with the OKRs on the trading desk in terms of liquidity and risks.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in accounting, business, computer science or business administration, or equivalent experience.
- A confident, natural leader and problem solver with demonstrated critical thinking and collaboration skills.
- Able to lead and guide a finance team and drive budget and financial management strategy.
- Advanced comprehensive finance skills and solid business acumen.
- Extensive background in accounting, banking, or finance.
Average Base Pay
Treasurer Career Path
Learn how to become a Treasurer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
“Ascent CFO is a great team and I love the collaborative nature of working with others in the same capacity.”
“It has provided me with so many opportunities to grow and I have felt supported along the way.”
“Any candidate joining the team would get a good learning opportunity along with a good career”
“Our board is incredibly supportive of what we are doing and they represent some of the best VC firms in Silicon Valley.”
“Good and stable place to work”
“The Founder and CEO are two of the best executive leaders I have worked with.”
“I saw first hand what SY and LB in CCB finance does to people of color .”
“Good salary but not enough for what you do”
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Treasurer
- Chief Executive Officer
- Senior Leader