What does a Strategic Planner do?
Strategic planners identify the long-and-short-term goals of a company and workable strategies to accomplish these goals. They assess the company's goals and identify areas for improvement. They are responsible for researching industry trends and conducting relevant and current market research. They prepare reports on strategic ideas for senior management teams and them with their research findings. They also assess sales metrics to gauge the success of potential new strategies.
Strategic planners rely heavily on their analytical skills. They need to use sound logic when making observations about the company's current methods to suggest the correct ideas to implement improvements. As problem solvers, strategic planners need excellent interpersonal and communication skills and fluency in industry strategies. They also need to interpret relevant and necessary data based on their research. Strategic planners need a minimum bachelor's degree in business, finance, marketing, or related fields and prior experience as a strategic planner or a business analyst.
- Lead team-wide Town Halls and support business unit Town Halls.
- Lead, or assist in leading and preparation for regulatory site visits.
- Define and manage strategy relationships (Universities, Chamber memberships, employee affiliations, etc).
- Identify and recommend methods to support cost savings, cost avoidance, improved efficiency, in the technical solutions in place.
- Responsible for budget management across the franchise, particularly commercial but additionally across-functions, acting as a lead role between commercial functions and finance.
- Manage and supervise a division with a wide variety of responsibilities but focused on long-range planning initiatives.
- Establish and or maintain internal vendor governance framework, processes, and procedures that will serve as the basis for manage 3rd party partners.
- Inform and advise the director on all significant planning, policy, and performance matters.
- Define process for reporting on progress, as well as identifying and addressing risks and interdependencies.
- Review and evaluate draft concept development reports and draft concepts, and providing written recommendations.
- Develop and implement an overall strategic workforce planning roadmap which effectively aligns industry best practices with the current talent position.
- Take appropriate measures in optimizing cost and reducing potential risks related to vendor engagements and ensuring vendors carry out their contracted deliverables and obligations consistently per contract.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in business, computer science, engineering or information systems, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with SAFE Agile, MASINT, UI Design, Agile, GS-13, and SaaS processes, software and systems.
- A leader and critical thinker with collaboration and decision making skills.
- Confident with daily tasks such as problem solving, risk assessment, and budget planning.
- Can propose methods to assist with capacity management and streamlining.
- Prior consultant experience.
- Familiar with conops as they play into the daily work.
Strategic Planner Salaries
Average Base Pay
Strategic Planner Career Path
Learn how to become a Strategic Planner, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Strategic Planner Insights
“The people are amazing and I've never thoroughly enjoyed a position as much as I enjoy this one.”
“You could be stressed but knowing you have a great team on your side makes you better.”
“It's fast paced and those who do best take ownership of career goals and keep them top of mind.”
“throat and privileged) there is little to no career growth or authority given to your voice.”
“I’m 24 and just started my career at Gund Investment LLC as a Strategic Planner.”
“My boss said I should expect it a few months ago but I'm still waiting.”
“Roles and opportunities to progress career are ample.”
“Life Balance is not the best”
Strategic Planner Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Strategic Planner
- Supply Chain Manager
- Material Planner
- Production Planner