What does a Stock Broker do?
Stock brokers are professional traders who buy and sell shares and securities on the behalf of their clients. They work for themselves or at firms, and some also buy and sell bonds or other financial instruments and products for their clients. They are required to concentrate on making investment calls through the price fluctuations of different stocks on the market, and they buy and sell shares of stock over both the short and long terms.
Stock brokers are also known as share brokers, registered representatives, investment brokers, or trading representatives. They evaluate the performance of shares and securities on the stock market and give client recommendations from their findings. If they need to, they will make adjustments in client investments and products according to market fluctuations or changes in lifestyle, including a loss of employment, critical financial setbacks, or the death or injury of a loved one. Stock brokers need a high school diploma and a bachelor’s degree in finance or business administration and must pass further exams to earn a professional license to practice.
- Manage the annual renewal process, including preparing and marketing renewal submissions and handling renewal order processing.
- Develop strong relationships with their portfolio of brokerages and associations.
- Support the team phone and email queue as needed.
- Draft submission cover letters, organize submission documentation, and review client submissions prior to sending to market.
- Market large brokerage professional lines accounts to appropriate wholesale carriers with the end goal of quoting and binding accounts.
- Assist in process-improvement initiatives at the direction of the assigned brokerage team leader.
- Maintain positive working relationships and clear communication with co-workers, clients and insurance carriers.
- Develop and maintain details of all Producer/Broker compensation arrangements.
- Act as an intermediary in the sale of the business between all parties.
- Actively participate in business development creating brand awareness and referrals.
- Seek to improve in all aspects of work performance.
- Build, implement and manage all systems for clients, lead generation, database management, and back-office support.
- Responsible for a territory; manage contacts and exercise long-term vision approach.
- Communicate and monitor downline agency sales goals against production within their book of business.
- Conduct advertised sales presentations for prospects and leverage community partnerships to host events.
- Produce campaign and event tracking reports showing return on investments and key initiatives.
- Coordinate effectively with appropriate teams for lead management and sales functions.
- Ability to collaborate well both internally and externally to support achievement of market objectives.
- Shadow senior brokers in transaction negotiation, evaluation and documentation.
- Listen to client calls and help field client requests.
- Bachelor's Degree in business, business administration or finance.
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision making skills.
- Can prioritize tasks and pay strict attention to detail.
- Prior experience as a consultant.
- Experience with EDI, C, and C# software and systems.
- Strive for continuous improvement.
- Can collaborate with clients and team members for decision making exercises.
- Is comfortable running month-end close reporting.
- Demonstrated sound judgment and product knowledge.
- A creative thinker with strong negotiation skills.
Stock Broker Salaries near Ireland
There are no current reports for Stock Broker salaries. You can add additional job titles in your job preferences to see related salary information.
Stock Broker Career Path
Learn how to become a Stock Broker, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Stock Broker Insights
“the training was amazing and really bettered me as a person not just work wise.”
“The people are nice and I didn’t feel any negative vibes from those I closely work with every day.”
“Im trying to rack my brain what is good...and decided maybe the close location to wegmans”
“Smaller companies may pay better but if you do well will be paid reasonably well.”
“Stable and good job security”
“What sets ARC Mortgage apart is the honest and trustworthy ownership.”
“Great Education and Training.”
“Be prepared to not get much sleep and have no real work / life balance.”
Stock Broker Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Stock Broker
- Solar Broker
- Equity Trader
- Portfolio Manager