What does a Senior Human Resource Generalist/Payroll Manager do?
Payroll managers ensure employees get paid and keep track of relevant information to manage payroll preparation, complete reports, and for record maintenance. They maintain payroll information by designing systems and directing the collection, calculation, and data entry. They update payroll records by reviewing and approving changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, job titles, and department or division transfers. They pay employees by directing the production and issuance of paychecks or electronic transfers to an employee's bank account.
Payroll managers compile summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and non-taxable wages into reports. They determine the company’s payroll liabilities by calculating an employee's federal and state income and Social Security taxes alongside the employer's Social Security, unemployment, and worker’s compensation payments. They balance payroll accounts and provide information and answer questions and requests to resolve discrepancies. They study existing and new legislation to ensure the company complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation and advising the necessary action to management. Payroll managers need a bachelor's degree in finance or accounting.
- Establish and maintain payroll controls and payroll related procedures for SOX compliance.
- Review and approval of final payroll processes each pay period.
- Manage payroll tax liabilities. Ensure accurate and timely filing of all payroll related taxes.
- Recommend goals for payroll team and responsible for tactical implementation of team and individual goals.
- Lead the development, implementation, maintenance, and coordination of US payroll operations.
- Maintain payroll information by collecting, calculating, and entering data.
- Manage issues related to employee deductions and other liabilities, including reconciling.
- Work with clients on a retained project basis, to maximize the recruiting process.
- Ensure Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for payroll are clearly defined, achieved, and measured regularly.
- Ensure accurate compliance with FLSA and state wage requirements
- Responsible for process improvements, operational streamlining and exceptional client service.
- Assist with the preparation and filing of payroll tax forms as required.
- Prepare miscellaneous reports for various departments and upper management.
- Identify key issues and patterns from partial and conflicting data.
- Assist with supervision of the day-to-day activities of assigned staff.
- Remain current on new legislation and regulatory ruling impact payroll and provide guidance on various federal, state, and local legislation.
- Collaborate with leadership on payroll strategy to deliver a best-in-class payroll solutions.
- Responsible for the documentation of standard processes within the team.
- Ensure service delivery quality for all processes and procedures, keeping third parties accountable if necessary.
- Respond appropriately to inquiries from all levels on a timely basis.
- Manage the annual year-end W-2 reconciliation process, ensuring complete accuracy and timeliness.
- Ensure payroll accuracy by completing thorough reviews of payroll audit reports and making corrections as needed.
- Responsible for file transmissions and reconciliations with 3rd party payroll related vendors.
- Preparing relevant weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports for circulation to department heads
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in accounting, business, computer science or business administration or equivalent experience.
- Advanced general ledger skills and in-depth experience with all aspects of payroll management.
- Strong command of English language and good communication skills.
- Strong leadership and problem solving abilities.
- Experienced with onboarding and termination procedures.
- Comfortable with Enterprise Resource Planning programs and tools.
Senior Human Resource Generalist Payroll Manager Salaries
There are no current reports for Senior Human Resource Generalist Payroll Manager salaries. You can add additional job titles in your job preferences to see related salary information.
Senior Human Resource Generalist/Payroll Manager Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Human Resource Generalist/Payroll Manager, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Senior Human Resource Generalist/Payroll Manager Insights
“Started as a fresher.. worked with an excellent team.. great place to start your career.”
“I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to work for such a great organization.”
“You are asked to just wing it but will not receive pay increase if client does not give you an excellent score.”
“It brought a lot of satisfaction to work with someone and get them credentialed and see them find a great position.”
“Plus you get to work with an amazing and diverse workforce.”
“Good paying Job and great benefits.”
“Great communication and helped me get the job I wanted.”
“Good place to learn and develop your career.”
Senior Human Resource Generalist/Payroll Manager Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Senior Human Resource Generalist/Payroll Manager
When working as a Senior Human Resource Generalist/Payroll Manager, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Excellent Organizational, Work Under Pressure, Attention To Detail, Reconcile and Audit.
- Payroll Specialist
- HR Manager
- Payroll Analyst
- HRis Analyst
The most common qualifications to become a Senior Human Resource Generalist/Payroll Manager is a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.