What does a Senior Firefighter do?
A firefighter is responsible for protecting the public in various dangerous situations. They are responsible for ensuring that a fire is put out as well as responding to other emergency situations. A few of the main duties of a firefighter are developing performing CPR, providing emergency services, responding to fire alarms, and putting out fires in buildings. They also have to participate in public safety announcements and training. Some of the jobs titles that a firefighter could grow into are fire protection engineer and firefighter shift captain.
A firefighter should have two years of experience as well as a High School Diploma or GED equivalent. One of the most important skills that a firefighter will have is the ability to remain calm under pressure. Another skill is problem solving as the firefighter will have to be able to fix problems quickly under pressure.
- Respond to fire alarms quickly
- Participate in public safety announcements and training
- Write reports of incidents that take place
- Give CPR to people in need
- Perform salvage operations after a fire
- Support other medical personnel on a call
- Perform fire inspections on houses and buildings
- Perform fire drills to practice for emergency events
- No experience necessary but preferred
- EMT certified preferred
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Incredible problem solving abilities
- Amazing physical strength
- Ability to pass a medical exam
- Ability to create reports for superiors
- Excellent communications skills
- Willing to go the extra mile to save a person's life
Senior Firefighter Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Firefighter, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Senior Firefighter Insights
“Good people trying to do the best they can with what they have to protect their town.”
“IOPFD are a great group of guys to work with some of the best in the business.”
“It is a stable job that pays well once you get higher up in rank that is largely based on team play and networking.”
“People are amazing and the work we do is great”
“None really best job in the world not many get the opportunity to help others in a way we do as firefighters.”
“Overall the job was fun and leadership was helpful.”
“Good good good good good”
“Great job salary not so great”
Senior Firefighter Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Senior Firefighter
When working as a Senior Firefighter, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD, Firefox, MS Office and Critical Thinking.
- Police Officer
- Security Officer
- Police Sergeant
- Correctional Officer
The most common qualifications to become a Senior Firefighter is a minimum of a science degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.