What does an Information Security Engineer do?
Information security engineers plan, design, build, and integrate tools and systems that are used to protect electronic information and devices. They implement systems to collect information about security incidents and outcomes. They may develop metrics or procedures for evaluating the effectiveness of the systems and tactics being used, and may also be involved in creating training materials. They also often build the infrastructure to support these systems and processes.
Information security engineers typically have a bachelor’s degree in a computer science discipline, along with a background in the IT field. They must have extensive experience with programming languages and tools, and be comfortable using script writing languages. Experience working with a variety of automation tools, firewall systems, and other technologies used for cybersecurity roles are helpful.
- Build and implement new security controls, processes and tools.
- Assist with support of existing systems and/or business requests.
- Lead the evaluation and use of security technologies and tools.
- Develop, maintain and document CND configurations, policies and procedures.
- Responsible for supporting security solutions within the department.
- Lead efforts to install, configure and utilize hardware security modules (HSM).
- Participate in an on-call rotation for 24x7 support of security operations.
- Design, test, and integrate new security products as directed by supervisors.
- Support the ongoing administration, design and user of network segmentation tools and underlying concepts.
- Perform security account administration and evaluate system security plan documentation.
- Provide on the job training to the customer as needed.
- Provide technical expertise to support vendor and project reviews.
- Mentor and coach engineers to be effective information security resources.
- Identify security issues and risks, and develop mitigation plans.
- Develop and socialize secure coding guidelines and best practices.
- Create project deliverable documentation, including design, build and operations guide.
- Identify gaps and propose solutions to increase security efficiency and effectiveness.
- Work closely with safety teams to promote system safety throughout the project.
- Support development of testing and evaluation plans, including cyber test activities.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in engineering, business, computer science, information technology or equivalent experience.
- Fluency in Linux, UNIX and JAVA systems.
- Fluent in software writing protocols.
- Able to fix complications with SSL, SSH, and SIEM systems and software.
- A leader focused on continuous improvement.
- Sound professionalism with incident response.
- Utilize frameworks to complete tasks.
Information Security Engineer Salaries
Average Base Pay
Information Security Engineer Career Path
Learn how to become an Information Security Engineer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Information Security Engineer Insights
“Technical work is interesting and the immediate people I work with our kind and knowledgeable.”
“5. Hikes are not based on our work and achievements but based on their budget and favoritism.”
“Very Good environment and I can say one of the best option for freshers to start.”
“My initial salary was already top in the industry and I got 40% hike on completion of an year.”
“The company genuinely cares about you as a person and provides opportunities to learn and grow your career.”
“slow for career opportunities better to be a manager or director somewhere then move to bca. (”
“There is no career path or proper hierarchy whatsoever; you won't grow in this place.”
“I think this is a great place to begin your career or if you wanted to learn more about cybersecurity.”
Information Security Engineer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of an Information Security Engineer
- Security Consultant
- Information Security Specialist
- Information Security Analyst
- Security Manager