What does a Front Desk Agent do?
A front desk agent is responsible for checking hotel guests in and out of their rooms. They are responsible for ensuring that every single guest has an enjoyable experience at the hotel. A few of the main duties of a front desk agent are greeting guests at the front desk, answering any questions, recommending activities and restaurants to guests, and answering any phone calls. They also have to store any luggage as needed by guests. Some of the jobs titles that a front desk agent could grow into are hotel manager and general manager.
A front desk agent does not need any experience but should have a high school degree or GED equivalent. One of the most important skills that a front desk agent will have is attention to detail. Another skill is organization as the front desk agent will have to keep track of guests and their requests.
- Check guests in and out of their rooms
- Answer any questions guests have
- Make recommendations for activities and restaurants
- Store any luggage guests have
- Answer the phone and direct the call
- Take reservations on the phone
- Arrange transportation for guests
- Maintain the record of guests that have checked in and out
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Excellent customer service skills
- Amazing interpersonal abilities
- Top-of-the-line organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at once
- Amazing time management skills
- A degree in hotel management is preferred
- Incredibly detail oriented
- Able to work nights and weekends
Front Desk Agent Salaries near Ireland
Average Base Pay
Front Desk Agent Career Path
Learn how to become a Front Desk Agent, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Front Desk Agent Insights
“None really work and life balance are good hours are hard but you get use to it”
“It’s amazing having fun people to work with and amazing pups that you get to see/interact with the whole day”
“Still one of the best boutique hotels in LA Lots of celebrities and lots of great people”
“Every day at the property is different and I enjoyed that there was something new to do every day.”
“Everyone I worked with there were so sweet and helped me with anything I needed.”
“The people you work with are fantastic and one of the best things about working at Middle Beach Lodge.”
“My coworkers are great and we have a good time while we’re getting things done.”
“The best environment to meet people to work with and it is really a fun place to be during conventions.”
Front Desk Agent Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Front Desk Agent
When working as a Front Desk Agent, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Excellent Customer Service, English Language, Anger, Interpersonal and Communication and Calculations.
- Front Desk Manager
- Administrative Assistant
- Executive Assistant
The most common qualifications to become a Front Desk Agent is a minimum of a Associate's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.