What does a Director of Accounting do?
Accounting managers oversee the accounting department functions with a focus on ensuring the timely and accurate delivery of financial statements and reporting. Accounting managers generally have several direct reports and work to allocate tasks evenly across the team. Accounting managers are responsible for driving team performance and getting the most out of individual contributors.
Accounting managers generally have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance and several years of accounting experience. In addition, many accounting managers also have a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) credential, which is obtained by passing a national exam and a completing a minimum number of college coursework hours. Accounting managers must have strong prioritization skills and feel comfortable taking initiative in order to deliver results.
- Oversee and manage the general accounting functions, including, but not limited to: accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, and taxes
- Help with quarterly and year-end financial audit activities and the annual corporate financial controls audit
- Assess current practices and procedures, and make recommendations for improvements
- Prepare, review, and analyze financial statements to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Perform ad hoc analysis and projects as requested
- Supervise and/or manage general ledger accounting functions
- Develop staff by managing performance, setting goals, providing ongoing training, and maintaining strong employee relationships
- Work with external auditors to ensure correct and timely closing and reporting at year-end
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA or MBA preferred.
- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience with a portion of it being in a supervisory role
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. GAAP
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities across all level of an organization
- Strong leadership skills with a dedication to driving and achieving results
- Knowledge of employee relationship building and performance management techniques
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills. Experience with other financial systems.
Director of Accounting Career Path
Learn how to become a Director of Accounting, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Director of Accounting Insights
“I’ve made great friends along the way and I work with some very sharp people.”
“You will be regularly required to make short presentations about how Koch’s MBM/PBM is great.”
“I entered as a Senior Accountant before moving into the Accounting Manager role and was given many opportunities to learn and grow in my career.”
“Great to work for and good pay”
“Very good to work and friendly place”
“I love coming to work and get to work with not only owners that have the biggest hearts but like”
“only the job is not suitable if the religion is strong”
“Nice understanding good great amazing”
Director of Accounting Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of accounting managers
An accounting manager spends their day overseeing the work of the group of employees responsible for financial reporting and compliance. They work closely with the company's CFO or controller to identify and create company procedures. They train their staff to carry out those tasks and follow up with guidance or direction to ensure everyone meets deadlines. Meetings may happen in person, over the phone, or electronically.
Yes, an accounting manager is a bridge between a company's financial leadership and the employees who carry out the day-to-day work. This makes them a valuable resource to make sure a company's financial activities are closely monitored to avoid costly mistakes or even fraud.
It can be challenging to manage a group of employees with different working styles and personalities. Accounting managers may bear the responsibility for mistakes made by others. If there's a company or reporting deadline, accounting managers may be asked to work outside regular office hours.