What does a Clinical Liaison do?
Clinical liaisons admit new patients to a hospital or medical facility and serve as intermediaries throughout their treatment process. They establish a relationship and serve as a bridge between patients and their medical teams, perform tasks including intake evaluations, admit patients into the facility, track patient records and data, process health insurance information, and collaborate with other staff to improve processes.
Many clinical liaisons are registered nurses or licensed practical nurses. They may help determine if a patient should be admitted to the hospital or treated using outpatient services. They respond to patient referrals and pre-screen potential patients by reviewing their medical records. Clinical liaisons assist with scheduling appointments and treatments, follow-ups, and coordinating patient discharge and transfers. They attend seminars and conferences and provide facility tours conducting presentations for potential referral sources and patient families. Clinical liaisons need a bachelor's degree in nursing or related fields, an active clinical license, and at least two years of work experience in healthcare-related marketing.
- Coordinate the activities of the patient service staff to ensure meal selections are completed within established timeframes.
- Answer phones, record messages on appropriate forms and processes information.
- Provide health care instructions to the patient as appropriate per assessment and plan.
- Track floors stock sent to inpatient units and enters charges into the software program.
- Supervise, monitor, and ensure competencies and performance of an assigned hospice care team and assuring the delivery of quality hospice services.
- Provide technical support when required for new product launches.
- Assist with and acts as point of contact for any external, annual facility assessments.
- Operationalize commercial advisory boards as identified by individual brand needs
- Assist with oversight of deferred maintenance reporting and capital plans.
- Work cooperatively with other personnel in a team effort to accomplish departmental objectives in accordance with hospital policy.
- Identify, profile, and facilitate training for contracted speakers on approved branded and unbranded speaker programs.
- Identify and strengthen relationships and referral processes with current community resources.
- Serve as team leader, providing direction and supervision for the interdisciplinary team members.
- Ensure high quality data collection by attending patient enrollments, key time point follow-up visits, and monitoring visits as appropriate.
- Maintain positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
- Bachelor's Degree in business or engineering.
- Strong problem solving, time management, and critical thinking skills.
- Strong command of English language and good communication skills.
- Advanced understanding of HIPAA regulations and privacy protocols.
Clinical Liaison Career Path
Learn how to become a Clinical Liaison, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Clinical Liaison Insights
“Everything...The bosses are the best..the employees are all so nice and I love my job”
“This is a great job opportunity for entrepreneurs or people who are looking to work part”
“Salaries could have been better for some but to be fair was great for others.”
“When I started working I realized that my role had a higher responsibility level and the salary did not march this level.”
“I found a family within my job and felt a sense of pride working in my department”
“Our managers get a cut of our commissions and we don't see a substantial reward.”
“The Teleperformance agents mixed up our start times and we started our day one two hours late.”
“it is good pay and rewarding”
Clinical Liaison Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Clinical Liaison
- Digital Marketing Manager
- SEO Analyst
- Market Analyst
- Marketing Manager