What does a Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) do?
Chief marketing officers are executives responsible for overseeing all aspects of an organization’s comprehensive marketing program. They are the top leader of the marketing department, and supervise marketing managers and other staff. They establish department policies and procedures, and play a lead role in driving marketing strategy and planning. They take ownership of guiding major national and global campaigns and initiatives. They establish and monitor annual budgets and spending plans, and negotiate contacts with major partners, vendors, and service providers.
Chief marketing officers typically have at least a bachelor’s degree in marketing or a related business field, although an MBA or similar advanced degree is often preferred. They have a vast marketing background, including roles in high-level leadership positions. These roles require in-depth understanding of marketing trends and innovative strategies.
- Maintain current knowledge of trends and developments in digital marketing.
- Analyze, evaluate, plan and execute on both existing and potential marketing activities and strategies.
- Define products, including price positioning attractive to the relevant market segments.
- Responsible for operational sourcing delivery across all region accounts.
- Socialise the plan with business stakeholders and gain input and support.
- Work closely with digital leadership to determine and meet growth and consumer-driven KPIs and ensure that they align with editorial and revenue strategy.
- Assure legal agreements and permissions obtained whenever others brands / logos are used.
- Create trusted relationships with team members. Understand what they value and support them in achieving their development goals.
- Speak and present both internally and externally to promotes the story of our product.
- Work closely with business and sales teams to package and deliver against sponsorships across distribution channels, including newsletter and social executions.
- Ensure that appropriate metrics are in place to measure performance and progress towards strategic goals.
- Drive discovery around obstacles to project speed or success and make recommendations to overcome these.
- Identify and interpret federal and state rules and regulations to ensure firm policies and procedures comply with appropriate laws, regulations and industry guidance.
- Experience running tests to optimize marketing and user experience initiatives.
- Ability to achieve revenue growth and solution revenue growth targets for their overall region and accounts, in partnership with the direct account sales teams.
- Establish a quarterly calendar for review of key projects vs. milestones.
- Bachelor's Degree in business, marketing, computer engineering, computer science, or communications.
- A confident, natural leader and problem solver with demonstrated critical thinking and collaboration skills.
- Advanced understanding of marketing practices and principles.
- Experience overseeing and executing large-scale marketing campaigns.
- Able to lead and manage a marketing team.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in business, business administration or management, or equivalent experience.
Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) Salaries near Ireland
Average Base Pay
Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) Career Path
Learn how to become a Chief Marketing Officer (CMO), what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) Insights
“People are really nice and interesting and the entire vibe is one of comraderie and continuous growth.”
“It is extremely risk adverse and there are no career development opportunities despite it being a learning institution.”
“Working on international products which is a great opportunity of building a global career in this uncertain times”
“If you want to build a great career and have a leadership team who invest in you this is the place to work.”
“Competitive salary and the best part is the bonus scheme which can be up to 9x of your monthly salary per annum.”
“Everyone is so welcoming and great to work with.”
“We are offered flexible working hours and organisation provides crucial insights in shaping one's corporate career.”
“Nice teammates and career path”
Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)
- Chief Operating Officer
- Chief Executive Officer
- Senior Leader
The most common qualifications to become a Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) is a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.
Get anonymous career insights from your peers
When does job hopping start to negatively affect you? I’ve spent the last decade in healthcare in management positions lasting from one year to 3.5 years. A recruiter has reached out to me about a position that would be a 20% raise with an additional bonus. I am concerned I may be hopping too much and this could lead to difficulty in the future. I would love some advice!