What does an ABAP Developer do?
Applications engineers work as a bridge between customers and engineering teams. They use customer input and sales information to design or redesign, develop, test, and implement complex software problems and applications. They provide technical support and expertise to customers by testing applications and responding to feedback. They perform installations and maintenance and often perform sales presentations and demonstrations.
Applications engineers perform customer analysis to create applications that respond to their needs and provide innovative solutions to common problems. They perform prototyping applications and code reviews to ensure products are satisfactory. They debug, test, code, improve, and redesign tasks, respond to customer issues, provide updated software that solves bug issues, perform customer installations, and work with customer service teams. Applications engineers need a degree in software engineering.
- Lead the creation, review, and submittal of technical support documentation updates.
- Assist in the training of customers on systems applications.
- Manage the development team and conduct regular one-on-one meetings.
- Create data extracts and reports from system based on requirements.
- Develop and implement enhancements, revisions to meet the needs of the client.
- Handle project and task management and reporting as necessary.
- Update and research recommendations for product and system improvements.
- Responsible for the quality of work that the team members perform.
- Adhere and contribute to development policies, procedures, and standards.
- Solve or recommend solutions for complex issues and problems
- Make presentations to management, clients, and peer groups as requested.
- Ability to instruct and guide less senior software developers/analysts.
- Develop program logic for new applications or analyze and modifies logic in existing applications.
- Engage with business/stakeholder as required to refine/clarify business requirements and feedback.
- Write code, complete programming and perform testing and debugging of applications.
- Interact with the user community to solve problems, augment the system functionality, and improve the user interface.
- Estimate to high level business requirements and provide options analysis.
- Ensure that resolved incidents are properly documented and closed.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in computer engineering, computer science, engineering or information systems or equivalent experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Vista.
- Experience with C, C#, Python, SQL Server, and CSS programming.
- Experience with API, HTML, Agile, and cloud systems.
- Commitment to problem solving and interfacing with colleagues and clients.
- Comfortable with scripting and debugging when requested.
ABAP Developer Salaries
Average Base Pay
ABAP Developer Career Path
Learn how to become an ABAP Developer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
ABAP Developer Insights
“The people I worked with were so nice and helpful and I really enjoyed working with them”
“Good company to work with growth is good and you learn whatever technologies you want with free certifications.”
“Generous Rewards and Recognition Program to award you for your work if you do something really well”
“Everyone was super helpful whenever I had questions and I got to work on an interesting project”
“The salary ($65k) was not the best but decent enough for a junior in the DC area.”
“Not really given any opportunities to express yourself or make yourself feel at home at your desk.”
“Bar during my time there felt important and I was lucky enough to work with an amazing team.”
“no cons found at this moment all are supportive and got a chance to work on new technologies..”
ABAP Developer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of an ABAP Developer
- Software Engineer
- Software Developer
- Front End Engineer
- Web Developer
The most common qualifications to become an ABAP Developer is a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.